👋 Oi, mga repapips, Brian Dys here! I love music, photography, and creative stuff like UX design and art. This is a place where I collect my thoughts and works. Apart all these, I’m Jaycelle’s better half and Bryce’s dad. 🥰
- The Nirvana fallacy: when perfectionism leads to unrealistic solutions
- An Invisible Cost of College: Parental Guilt
- How to avoid layout shifts caused by web fonts
- A Few Thoughts On Writing
- Ideas That Changed My Life
- Optimistic UI Patterns for Improved Perceived Performance
- 1,000 True Fans? Try 100
- Alternatives to Spinners on the Web
- Why do we need to be right?
This is the week that I’ve went back to digest two week’s worth of curious readings — from design to stock market to psychology.
- Jootsing: the art of jumping out of the system
- Chamath Palihapitiya closes GameStop position, but defends investors’ right to sway stocks like pros
- The service-based design org
- Culture-based user interface design
- Design and Science
- Validation is a mirage
- Why Tailwind Isn’t for Me
- The Aesthetic-Usability Effect
- Are Meaningful Daily Activities Linked to Well-Being?
- Please Stop Calling Things Archives
- Shopatainment: Video Shopping as Entertainment
Jaycelle requested me to change the color of her blouse from red to mustard. It’s easy with an app, that’s true. However, before all those algorithms and automations, there was a semi-manual way of doing it — using selective colors in Photoshop.
Music: Tweakers by Brian Dys
Got a scanned or photographed signature with a messy background? Here’s an easy way of enhancing it to be in PNG with a transparent background.
In Adobe Photoshop:
- Resize the long side of the image to 1920px or higher
- Image → Adjustments → Threshold
- Select black-only via Alpha Channel
- Make BG transparent and save as PNG
Music: Scrap by Brian Dys