I heard it the first time when my friend from Malate, Ida, gave me a mix CD with 14 tracks. This particular song captivated me in a gloomy manner – just as Diana Krall’s Midnight Sun did. But the problem was that I didn’t know the title since she didn’t bother listing the track info.
Years have passed – and I am talking CD burning here, not MP3s in flashdrives – Android phones came into being and SoundHound found its place into my phone. I tried to scratch this long time itch and was I lucky to find the singer and composer.
Violet Don’t Be Blue is a song by Herbie Mann and sang by Cissy Houston (Whitney’s mom).
Don’t let this song bring you down now:
1st Topic: Dealing with Clients
Speaker: Rina Malonzo
- Listen to client needs – identify the real problem
- Charge with eyes open – learn the product life cycle and the work involved
- Set expections – be realistic, under promise and over deliver
- Build trust – tell the truth, don’t disappear, failure isn’t an option
- Tell clients if they are “wrong” – listen to why they don’t like a design, design for the customer, have an intelligent conversation – don’t simply say “OK”
- Get a downpayment before starting a project
- Get repeat business
Showcasing Your Portfolio
- Show your future – showcase the projects you want to attract
- Show your best works in the first 5 items
- Show at most 20 samples
2nd Topic: PhoneGap
Speaker: Chard Gonzales
PhoneGap is a free and open source framework that allows you to create mobile apps using standardized web APIs for the platforms you care about.
3rd Topic: RCSS
Speaker: JP De Guzman
RCSS (‘Recess’ / Narcissistic name – ‘Rain CSS’) is a PHP-based CSS Processor. Popularized by known CSS pre-processors such as LESS and SCSS, RCSS aims to bring the joy and fun back in writing CSS with nifty features straight out-of-the-box. Aside from the core feature built under its hood, it can be extended via plugins that anyone can easily write and share.
In meetings, only involve persons who can say a thing or two about your agenda.
Keep meetings under 1 hour.
If a team couldn’t be fed with two pizzas, it was too big.