What kind of experience do you want for your users?
Here’s a checklist:
- Business and User Objectives
- Features and Requirements
- Information Architecture and Interaction Design
- Navigation and User Interface Design
- Accessibility and Visual Design
- Sound (cues and effects)
- Music (background and foreground)
While one of sound’s purpose is enhancing the user experience, it’s primary goal is to provide accessibility to non–visual users.
And in cases video games and devices that only has VUI, sound is one of the primary elements.
If you’re working on a site or app, prioritize the checklist before leveraging audio to enhance the user experience (along with animations).
Think of a chat app wherein there are sound cues and animations when someone is composing a reply, when you successfully sent a message, and when you receive a message.
One can still use the app and accomplish the task at hand even without those sound cues and animations—but they are important aspects in enhancing the usability and user experience.